Musician in Residence
$250 per week, approximately 10 hours a week
The Musician in Residence will be the curator and innovator of all things music for the Storydwelling community. Storydwelling is an ecumenical and affirming community of faith committed to love, liberation and relationship. We are rooted in the progressive theology of the Lutheran and Methodist traditions, and we long to explore the beautiful and creative edges of what is possible as we curate new theological vocabulary and spiritual imagination. We are committed to taking action for justice and peace in our neighborhoods and world.
The primary responsibility of the Musician in Residence is to craft new music for this community and to curate a tone and spiritual vocabulary that aligns with our values and commitments. We imagine the MiR working among us as she/he/they do the creative work of putting our commitments to music. These need not be master compositions; simple tunes and chants are our speed!
A secondary responsibility will be to lead our community in music at our regular gatherings and at special events, but these tasks should contribute to the creative work of the MiR rather than distract or consume too much time.
Of course, the MiR is welcome to be a part of our community in whatever ways feel right, but participation in all gatherings is not required. We are a community rooted in Christianity, but we love and honor all perspectives; in fact, the more perspectives the better!
- Musical skill insomuch as one can craft new music for a community as well as lead music for a community
- Willingness to cultivate the musical gifts of others in the community
- Flexibility and adaptability
- A sense of humor
- Openness to exploring theological and spiritual language and practices insomuch as they connect with the community’s musical expressions
- Availability on most weekends and some holidays
Story Dwelling expects all of its staff and community to commit to our core values:
- Y’all means all: we affirm the identities, backgrounds, and perspectives of all people
- God is a relational experience, and so relationship–rather than doctrine or dogma–is of primary value; we cultivate relationship through listening and sharing our stories.
- Faith is intentional: curiosity, wonder, awe are encouraged and cultivated.
- We steward sacred texts: of our scripture(s) and the sacred texts of our lives and stories.
- Out of relationship, we take hopeful action for justice and peace.
This is a part-time position. Compensation is a stipended rate of $250 per week with the expectation of working 10 hours/week, recognizing that some weeks will require less time and some weeks (Christmas, for example) will require more time. The position will begin August 1 and end December 31.
This position is brand new and will develop and adapt as community and musician need it to. If all goes well, there is a good possibility of this extending beyond December 31 and becoming a permanent staff position.
If interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an initial meeting. Please send a sample recording or video that shows you “in your element” musically. Applications accepted on a rolling basis until position is filled.
Storydwelling is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, documentation status or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply.